I have 25+ years of experience integrating grantmaking, philanthropic advising, donor engagement, public policy, communications, and change management skills.
- Independent consultant since 2008
- Roy A. Hunt Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA, Executive Director, 2011-2015. The foundation has 30 trustees from 3 generations involved in granting more than $3 million nationally. While there, I facilitated a 2020 visioning process and facilitated changes in investment management, impact investing, grantmaking, trustee education and engagement, and back-office management.
- Central Indiana Community Foundation, Indianapolis, IN, 1996-2008 – served progressively as Program Officer, Director of Community Initiatives, Philanthropic Services Director, and Associate Vice President. While there, I provided philanthropic advising for 100+ donors and their advisors, helped entrepreneurs and wealthy families close and launch funds and foundations, developed and led grantmaking programs and leadership initiatives, attracted $39 million in philanthropic investments and funds, co-founded a social enterprise providing technology support to nonprofits, and supported external relations and communications projects.
- Indiana Department of Commerce, 1989-1995 – Main Street Coordinator and then Community Development State Grants Manager. I designed and led technical assistance, community planning, grant, and tax credit programs benefitting nonprofits and local units of government.
Education and Professional Development
- Ongoing continuing education in family philanthropy and family dynamics, grantmaking, foundation management, civic engagement, community economic development and placemaking, family self-sufficiency and asset-building, youth violence prevention, gift planning and fundraising, and results-based accountability.
- Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy® certification, The American College, 2015
- Coalition of Community Foundations for Youth, Executive Education Program, 2002-2004
- Ball State University, Indiana Community Development Course, 1995
- Heartland Center for Leadership Development, graduate, 1993
- National Development Council, Certified Economic Development Professional, 1993
- Butler University, Masters in Music with emphasis in arts administration, 1994
- Manchester College, Bachelor of Arts in business, communications, and arts, 1989
I am a member of the National Network of Consultants to Grantmakers (NNCG), the Purposeful Planning Institute, and Advisors in Philanthropy. I am committed to NNCG’s Code of Ethical Conduct and the NACGP’s Model Standards of Practice for the Charitable Gift Planner.
I previously was a: donor-trustee of Awesome Pittsburgh and Awesome Boulder; board member of the Union Project, Grantmakers of Western Pennsylvania, Neighborhood Allies, and Grassroots Grantmakers; and advisory committee member for the National Center for Family Philanthropy.
I’ve reviewed proposals for United Ways, arts agencies, and other funders in many states. And, over the years, I’ve served on coalitions for homeless service funding, family strengthening, historic preservation, community development, and arts advocacy; and committees for library planning, parks fundraising, volunteer recruitment events, and church stewardship and missions.